Global leaders in building effective marine protected areas
Marine protected areas (MPAs), like national parks on land, set aside dedicated areas for conservation to help the ocean thrive, provide jobs, protect coral reefs, rejuvenate marine wildlife & habitats, and feed millions of people. MPAs are one of the most important conservation tools we have.
Yet, the reality is that nearly 60% of MPAs around the world lack the necessary resources, training, and enforcement capacity to successfully protect marine species.
Over the last 20 years, WildAid’s comprehensive approach to MPA enforcement has been proven to help build successful MPAs. After partnering with WildAid, the Galapagos National Park and Misool Marine Reserve in Indonesia, have seen dramatic improvements in revitalizing coral reefs, shark populations, mantas, nesting sea turtles, whales, and important commercial fisheries.
Well-enforced MPAs achieve almost 3x greater conservation benefits.
For every ranger we train, we see an average of 5x amplification when they share their training with the rest of their team or help train other rangers in the region.
WildAid has protected 8,500+ marine species through our work.
Making the promise of MPAs real
WildAid is working to make the promise of MPAs real. We pioneered a program for building effective marine enforcement that can be customized for specific local government and NGO partner needs and scaled to include hundreds of project sites. The places we work are extraordinary, home to fishers and their communities who depend on the oceans for food and livelihoods, as well as important marine habitat, nursery and spawning grounds, nesting beaches, and coral reefs. We currently have active projects in the Galapagos Islands, coastal Ecuador, Palau, Indonesia and Malaysia. The hallmark feature of our strategy lies in a holistic, integrated marine protection system consisting of the following elements:
- Surveillance and Enforcement: We custom design enforcement systems for marine areas based on identified threats, human resources and budgetary constraints.
- Training and Mentorship: Tailored to local needs, we train park wardens in patrolling, vessel boarding and safety-at-sea.
- Policies and Consequences: We work with lawyers and governments to strengthen legislation and establish effective penalties.
- Community Engagement: We design local awareness campaigns to foster understanding and community buy-in for marine conservation.
- Consistent Funding: We help underwrite operations and reduce operating costs through technology, inter-agency collaboration and/ or exploring new revenue streams.
Our approach stops illegal fishing, enforces regulations, allows wildlife recovery, and encourages positive economic opportunity for communities. After working with WildAid, our sites will have measurable improvement in their Marine Protection System and can act as Regional Leaders, exemplifying successful marine conservation in the region, so that more MPAs can fulfill their conservation potential and allow ocean wildlife to recover and flourish.
Contact us to learn more about our work or to discuss partnership opportunities.